On successful completion of your Trail Cycle Leader (TCL) Training course and having spent a minimum of 30 days developing the points outlined in your 1:1 feedback you are then eligible to undertake your TCL Assessment.
TCL Assessments take the form of a one day ride in suitable terrain for the award during which, in order to pass, you must demonstrate an understanding of relevant criteria.
You should be competent and effective in all areas of the syllabus before applying for Assessment. You should be familiar with the Assessment requirements as detailed in the MBLA Training manual – provided to you on registration with the Cycling Ireland MBLA scheme.
You must have completed a minimum of 30 logged mountain bike rides and there should be a 30 day consolidation period since your TCL Training course. The consolidation period can be reduced in certain circumstances depending on your experience and TCL Training feedback.
MBLA TCL Assessment - 7th May 2016
2. Planning & Preparation.
3. Personal Bike skills.
4. Dealing with Emergency scenarios.
6. Environmental Awareness.
8. Group Management.
10. Fuel & Hydration.
11. Trailside Repairs.
12. Bike Set-Up.
Upon successful completion of the Trail Cycle Leader (TCL) Assessment you will be sufficiently skilled in mountain bike leadership to lead groups of up to 8 riders throughout Ireland as detailed below:
- On public highways, way marked routes, rights of way on which cycles are permitted all with low to medium technical difficulty.
- On routes which are 90 to 95% rideable over their total length.
- In terrain no more than 30 minutes walk away from a shelter with communication and to be no more than 600 meters in elevation.
- In normal summer conditions during daylight.
- On multi-day trips where the group does not require to be self-sufficient.
- On receipt of your booking the relevant Assessment details will be sent to you.
Duration: 1 Day